Rewind is a technology company headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario, which focuses on providing services to back up, copy, and restore your SaaS and cloud data.
Rewind is the data controller of data obtained via the Rewind.com and Backhub.co websites. Our registered office is located at:
Rewind Software Inc.
333 Preston Street, Suite 200
Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5N4
For more information about our products and services, please refer to our website:
We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it by complying with this Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice describes: how we collect, use, disclose, and protect personal information; describes the types of personal information we may collect either directly from you or indirectly through cookies or from third parties; and our practices for obtaining consent, collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This Privacy Notice applies only to personal information (also called personal data). Personal information is any information relating to an identified individual or that can be used to identify an individual. Rewind collects personal information only as necessary to operate its business and to provide its products and services. Personal information protected by this Privacy Notice is information about a natural person. If identifiers are removed from any personal information so that you can no longer be identified from that information, then that information has been anonymized and is not considered personal information. As such, anonymized information falls out of scope of this Privacy Notice.
This Privacy Notice is applicable to Rewind (“we”, “our” or “us”) as related to our products and services, which collectively include:
- the use of Rewind.com and Backhub.co (our “Website”),
- the use of the application website app.rewind.com including our product and service offerings, Backhub, Rewind Copy, Rewind Backups (our “Application”),
- social media messages and marketing campaigns,
- contact by phone, email, text or chat sessions relating to Client support or other matters, and
- the use of our products and services.
This Privacy Notice sets out the essential details relating to your personal data relationships with Rewind as:
- Website visitor,
- End-user of the Application (“End User”),
- Prospective client,
- Job applicant, and
- Partners, for example, contractors, services providers and other third parties we use to support and manage many of our business operations and who refer potential Clients to us.
Clients contract the use of our Application and give access to their employees and other third parties including their customers, as solely decided by them, by creating users who access the Application with their email address and credentials. Our Clients’ administrators grant End Users roles, which result in different permissions and access rights to the information held in the Client account.
Personal information we collect
2.1 Information you choose to provide to us
We may ask you to provide personal information when:
- You use the Website to download articles, data sheets or eBooks
- You request a free trial or demo
- You refer a friend to us
- You connect with us directly via phone calls, emails, or video conferencing platforms
- We or Client account administrators grant you access to the Application
- You or Client account administrators upload or enter personal information into the Application
- You participate in a marketing/sales promotion
- You attend trade events and other industry networking events
- You register or attend a webinar or other event
- You participate in programs we may offer from time to time
- You participate in chats
- You pay for our products or services.
If you choose to provide us with a third party’s Personal Information (the person’s name, email and company) when taking part in our referral programs, you represent that you have the third party’s permission to do so.
Without limiting the generality of the personal information we collect, it may include first and last name, business email address, business telephone number, company/employer name.
As an End User of the Application, we collect your name, business email address, business phone number, and any comments you make in the Application.
2.2 Information we collect automatically
We collect information about your visits to our Website and our Application when you land on any of our web pages through cookies and similar tracking technology.
The information collected includes:
- access times
- the pages you view
- the links you click on
- the search terms you enter
- actions you take in connection with any of the visited pages
- your device information such as IP address, location, browser type and language
- the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of the website that referred you to our website and
- the URL you browse away from our pages if you click on an external link
We may also collect information when you open email messages from us or click on links within those email messages.
Information we may collect from third parties
We may combine the information we collect as a result of your direct interactions with us with information obtained through other third-party sources such as Zoominfo. We also may obtain and/or purchase lists from third parties about individuals and companies interested in our products and services.
The personal information collected may include your name, email address, business address, job title, company name, and telephone numbers.
How we use personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Deliver the contracted services and allow full use of the Application functionality as purchased by Clients including, for example, to authenticate your identity when you log into the Application
- Deliver training and support to our Application End Users and/or carry out the transactions you have requested
- To deactivate your account when your relationship with Rewind ends
- To communicate with you directly through emails, calls, chats, video conferencing
- Process payments for Application subscriptions
- Send communications to you about:
- new Application features and upgrades
- our products, services and offerings
- event announcements
- product and service notices and changes to our terms and policies
- particular programs in which you have chosen to participate
- promotional offers and surveys
- scheduling demos and managing free trials
- Advertise and market our products and services, including delivering interest-based advertisements on this Website and other sites or content syndication platforms and websites
- Carry out market research to understand how to improve our products and services and their delivery
- Create and manage marketing campaigns
- Generate sales leads and increase our market share
- Analyze user clicks and usage of the Application and Website to improve user experience and maximize usage of our products and services
- Manage our Website and Application in order to maintain and deliver the contracted functionality and services
- Enforce our Website and Application terms and/or separate contracts (if applicable) with you
- Prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities
- Protect the security or integrity of the Website, Application, our Clients, our business and our products and services so that we can pursue available remedies or limit damages that we may sustain
- Otherwise, as disclosed to you at the point of collection or as required or permitted by law.
Please note that sometimes we may record the video conferencing call in which you participate in order to analyze and improve our staff’s communication skills. If we do so, we will be announcing it at the beginning of the conference call as well as in the meeting invite and we will be providing a link to our Privacy Notice in the meeting invites and on the registration page.
We do not sell your information to any third party.
How we share personal information
We use third parties to help us provide our products and services and to manage many of our operations. They may have access to your information as collected by the Website or the Application, as reasonably necessary to perform the tasks on our behalf. We obtain data processing agreements based on standard contractual clauses and assess third parties on their security and privacy practices to ensure that personal information is only used to deliver the contracted services to us, to prohibit them from selling it and not to disclose it without our knowledge and permission. A list of our core service providers can be found here: rewind.com/legal/sub-processors
It is possible that we may need to disclose personal information to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and legal processes including, for example, responding to lawful requests from public and governmental authorities and court order.
We attempt to notify our clients about legal demands for their personal data when appropriate in our judgment unless prohibited by law or court order or when the request is an emergency.
Change in Control
We can also share your personal data as part of a sale, merger, amalgamation or change in control or in preparation for any of these events.
Any other entity which buys us or part of our business will have the right to continue to use your data, but only in the manner set out in this Privacy Notice unless you agree otherwise.
How we secure personal information
We are committed to protecting the security of all of the personal information we collect and use.
We use a variety of physical, administrative and technical safeguards designed to help protect it from [accidental loss and from] unauthorized access, use and disclosure. We have implemented best-practice standards and controls in compliance with internationally recognized security frameworks. We use encryption technologies to protect data at rest and in transit. Please see our security information page security.rewind.com for further information.
We provide the same suite of products and services to all of our Clients and End-Users worldwide.
We offer the following rights to all individuals regardless of their location or applicable privacy regulations.
For personal information we have about you, you can:
- You have the right to be notified of what personal information we collect about you and how we use it, disclose it and protect it.
- Access your personal information or request a copy.
- Change or correct your personal information.
- Delete or erase your personal information.
- OBJECT TO THE PROCESSING OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
- YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO OBJECT TO OUR PROCESSING OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR DIRECT MARKETING PURPOSES. THIS MEANS THAT, ON YOUR REQUEST, WE WILL STOP USING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR THESE PURPOSES.
- Ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information.
- Export your personal data.
If you would like to exercise any of the rights described above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the local organizations in charge of enforcing the privacy legislation applicable in your territory.
How long we keep your personal information
We retain personal information as long as it is necessary to provide the services to you and our Clients, subject to any legal obligations to further retain such personal information.
We may also retain personal information to comply with the law, prevent fraud, collect fees, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with investigations, enforce our terms of service and take other actions permitted by law.
The personal information we retain will be handled in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
Personal information connected to you that is no longer necessary and relevant to provide our services may be de-identified or aggregated with other non-personal data to provide insights which are commercially valuable to Rewind, such as statistics of the use of the services.
Other Important Information
We process data in locations dependent on the service you subscribe to which could include Canada, USA, Germany or Ireland and rely on legally-provided mechanisms to lawfully transfer data across borders, such as contracts incorporating data protection and sharing obligations. Rewind complies with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”), which has been recognized by the European Commission as legislation that offers adequate protection to personal information. You can learn more about the adequacy decisions by the European Commission by visiting: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32002D0002
We will only collect and process personal data about you where we have a lawful reason for its collection as outlined in Article 6 GDPR.
When you visit our Website and provide us with your personal information, we collect and use it with your consent.
As an Application End User, you consent to our collection of your personal information when you log in for the first time. However, your company/employer has control of the account and may upload and share additional personal information. It is your company’s/employer’s responsibility to ensure the collection, use and sharing of the personal information uploaded to the Application complies with all applicable legislation.
You can review Rewind’s terms of service here: https://rewind.com/legal/terms-of-service/ and https://www.rewind.com/terms-of-use
Where we rely on your consent to process personal data, you have the right to withdraw or decline your consent at any time. If you have any questions about the lawful bases upon which we collect and use your personal data, please contact us at email@example.com
How to select your communications preferences
You may choose to receive or not receive marketing communications from us. To stop receiving marketing communications, please click the “Unsubscribe” link in the email we sent you.
Even if you opt-out of receiving marketing communications, we may still communicate with you in connection with security and privacy issues, servicing your account, fulfilling your requests, or administering any promotion or any program in which you may have elected to participate.
If you have any questions regarding this Privacy Notice, please contact us using the information below:
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Via Website: Contact Us
Via phone: 1-855-5-REWIND (739-463)
A.1 For individuals based in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom (UK) and Switzerland.
This section provides additional specific information for consumers based in the EU, EEA, UK and Switzerland. If you are based in one of these jurisdictions, Rewind is the controller of your personal data.
Rewind Software Inc.
333 Preston Street, Suite 200
Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5N4
The data controller has designated a EU Representative for these jurisdictions. Supervisory authorities and data subjects can contact the EU Representative here:
PSW GROUP GmbH & Co. KG
Via email: email@example.com
The data controller has designated an external Data Protection Officer (DPO) for these jurisdictions. Supervisory authorities and data subjects can contact the DPO here:
Maik Müller, CIPP/E
Certified Information Privacy Professional / Europe (IAPP)
PSW GROUP GmbH & Co. KG
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your personal data is collected in the following instances:
- When you visit our Website rewind.com and rewind.com
- When we process your personal data for sales and marketing purposes
Rewind is a processor of all personal data processed on the Application, on behalf of our Clients. We only process the personal data under their direction. Please visit rewind.com/legal/gdpr for our Rewind application data processor agreement.
We only process personal data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. The lawful bases applicable to our processing as controller are:
- Consent – We will ask for your express and informed consent every time we collect your personal data on this legal basis in accordance with Article 6(1)(a) GDPR
- Contractual basis – We process the personal data as necessary to fulfill our contractual terms with you or our Clients in accordance with Article 6(1)(b) GDPR
- Legitimate interest – We process the names, contact details, job titles, companies of our existing and prospective clients for our marketing purposes, including market research and sales leads generation in accordance with Article 6(1)(c) GDPR
You have the following rights under the GDPR:
- Be informed about the collection and use of your personal data
- Access your personal data
- Correct errors in your personal data
- Erase your personal data
- Object to the processing of your personal data.
- This right is also available to individuals whose personal data is processed by us for direct marketing purposes. If you object to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes, we shall stop processing within 30 days of receipt of your request.
- Export your personal data
- To not be profiled or be subject to automated individual decision-making
- Restrict our processing of your personal data for specific reasons, including any of the purposes supported by the legitimate interest legal bases. (see the section above).
We process personal data in locations dependent on the service you subscribe to which could include Canada, USA, Germany and Ireland and share it with our service providers to help provide Rewind services. When we send your personal information to Canada it is protected under Canadian law, which the European Commission has found will adequately protect your information. We use contracts with third party service providers and the standard contractual clauses as the data transfer mechanism of transferring EEA/EU/UK data to countries subject to data transfer requirements.
You may contact us at email@example.comYou may also lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority, EU Data Protection Authorities (DPAs), UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) or Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC). See their contact details here. The supervisory authority for Rewind’s EU Representative PSW GROUP GmbH & Co. KG is the Hessian Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information.
A.2 For individuals based in California
This section provides additional specific information for consumers based in California as required by the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”).
A.2.1 Collection and Use of Personal Information
In the last 12 months, we may have collected the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers, such as your name, mailing address, email address, zip code, telephone number, or other similar identifiers.
- California Customer Records (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)), such as username and password, company name, job title, business email address, and department.
- Internet/Network Information, such as your browsing history, log and analytics data, information about the device(s) used to access the Services and information regarding your interaction with our websites or Services and other usage data.
- Geolocation Data, such as information about your location (at country and city level) collected from your IP address.
- Sensory Information, the content, audio and video recordings of conference calls between you and us that we record where permitted by you and/or the law.
- Profession/Employment Information that you include in your CV, cover letter and send to us when applying for a position.
- Other Personal Information, such as personal information you provide to us in relation to a survey, comment, question, request, article download or inquiry and any other information you upload to our Application.
We collect personal information directly from you, from your browser or device when you visit our Websites, from third parties that you permit to share your information or from third parties that share public information about you and as stated above.
See the section above, “How we use personal information,” to understand how we use the personal information collected from California consumers.
A.2.2 Recipients of Personal Information
We share personal information with third parties for business purposes. The categories of third parties to whom we disclose your personal information may include: (i) our service providers and advisors, (ii) marketing and strategic partners; (iii) ad networks and advertising partners; (iv) analytics providers; and (v) social networks.
Please see the “How We Share Information” section of the Privacy Notice above for more information.
A.2.3 California Privacy Rights
As a California resident, you may be able to exercise the following rights in relation to the personal information about you that we have collected (subject to certain limitations at law):
- The Right to Know any or all of the following information relating to your personal information we have collected and disclosed in the last 12 months, upon verification of your identity:
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources of the personal information;
- The categories of personal information that we have disclosed to third parties for a business purpose, and the categories of recipients to whom this information was disclosed;
- The categories of personal information we have sold and the categories of third parties to whom the information was sold; and
- The business or commercial purposes for collecting or selling the personal information.
- The Right to Request Deletion of personal information we have collected from you, subject to certain exceptions.
- The Right to Opt-Out of Personal Information sales to third parties now or in the future. However, we do not sell your personal information.
You also have the right to be free of discrimination for exercising these rights.
Please note that if the exercise of these rights limits our ability to process personal information (such as a deletion request), we may no longer be able to provide you with our products and services or engage with you in the same manner.
A.2.4 How to Exercise Your California Consumer Rights
To exercise your right to know and/or your right to deletion, please submit a request by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will need to verify your identity before processing your request.
In order to verify your identity, we will generally require sufficient information from you so that we can match it to the information we maintain about you in our systems. Sometimes we may need additional personal information from you to be able to identify you. We will notify you.
We may decline a request to exercise the right to know and/or right to deletion, particularly where we are unable to verify your identity or locate your information in our systems or as permitted by law.
You may choose to designate an authorized agent to make a request under the CCPA on your behalf. No information will be disclosed until the authorized agent’s authority has been reviewed and verified. Once a request has been submitted by an authorized agent, we may require additional information (i.e. written authorization from you) to confirm the authorized agent’s authority.
If you are an employee/former employee of a Rewind Client that uses our application and services, please direct your requests and/or questions directly to your employer/former employer.
If you are a third party (auditor, business associate etc.), who was given access to the Rewind application by a Rewind Client, please direct your requests and/or questions directly to the Rewind Client that gave you access.
Minors Under Age 16
Our application and services are intended for business use and we do not expect them to be of any interest to children under the age of 16. We do not intentionally collect any personal information of consumers below the age of 16 and will cancel the registration of any user account initiated by a child upon becoming aware of any such registration. We do not sell the personal information of California consumers for any commercial purpose other than for providing the services.
Rewind may make changes to our Privacy Notice
Rewind may, solely at our discretion, make changes or updates to this policy. If we make changes, we will post those changes on this page, and update the Privacy Notice modification date below.
This policy was last modified in April 2022 (v. 2.0)